Celebrating their Silver Jubilee NDTV today announced the winners of their sixth edition of ‘Indians of the Year’ awards at a grand ceremony with the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Manmohan Singh as Chief Guest; Guest of Honour Smt Sushma Swaraj, Leader of the Opposition. Also present were Chief Ministers Sheila Dikshit, Omar Abdullah and Dr Mukul Sangma; Guests of Honour BJP President Shri Rajnath Singh, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, I&B Minister Manish Tiwari, Minister in the PMO Shri Narayanswamy, Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri RPN Singh; Justices JS Verma and Leila Seth, film stars Kareena Kapoor, Sridevi and Farhan Akhtar; Olympians Gagan Narang and Yogeshwar Dutt and the ‘unsung heroes’ like IAS officer Rajni Sekhri Sibal and the ‘braveheart’ of India’s family; Sukanya Shankar wife of Late Pandit Ravi Shankar and the late Yash Chopra’s wife Pamela, along with MPs Ravi Shankar Prasad, NK Singh and D Raja among other well known personalities from all walks of life.
Congratulating NDTV on turning 25 this year, Dr Mannohan Singh, Prime Minister and Chief Guest said, ” The period of 25 years that NDTV has been in business is also broadly the period of economic reforms in our country. I am also very happy that NDTV has taken up many campaigns on vital issues such as education, health and environment. I hope to see many more channels put in such efforts. “.
The eminent awardees were:
1. Daughter of India – Nirbhaya
2. Justice for the Indian woman – Justice J.S Verma the JS Verma Committee: Justice Leila Seth and Gopal Subramaniam
3. Lifestyle Achievement Awards – Late Yash Raj Chopra, Late Pandit Ravi Shankar and Dr. C Pratap Reddy, Founder Chairperson, Apollo Hospital Group
4. Sportspersons of the year – Gagan Narang and Yogeshwar Dutt
5. Business Leader of the year – N Chandrashekaran, Tata Consulting Services
6. Entertainer of the year – Sridevi
7. Entertainer of the decade -Kareena Kapoor
8. LIC Unsung Hero – Rajni Sekhri Sibal
Adding fun and entertainment to the gala awards ceremony was a power packed performance by the multi-talented Farhan Akhtar.